Ankit Kapoor Speaks
Education UG Entrance Prep Specialist
Co-Founder @ PRATHAM
A cardinal part of hospitality industry, Hotel Management has wide employment opportunities. The Hotel Management industry is truly becoming global. As hotel chain owners are opening new hotels in various big and small cities, requirement for trained hotel management professionals is huge. Although considered one of the most glamorous careers, hotel management requires professionals who can keep their cool even in the most challenging situations.
Hotel management can include Hotel & Restaurant management, Cruise Ship Hotel management, Hospital Administration and Catering, Hotel and Tourism Associations, Airline Catering and Cabin Services, Club management, Forest Lodges, Guest Houses amongst others. Expansion of global travel industry and aviation industry is expected to boost hotel industry in next couple of years.
Bachelors Degree in Hotel Management prepares students to enter the world of hospitality as Leaders and Managers with a strategic approach to business. It combines management theory with hands-on hospitality courses, professional internships and business specializations.
Hotel management courses are offered at many colleges and universities as part of academic programs leading to professional certificates, undergraduate degrees or graduate degrees in hospitality management or hotel administration. Some institutions may also offer doctoral degrees in this field.
Insight into a few Hotel management courses:-
Customer Relationship Management:
- People who take this course learn effective strategies for managing customer relationships within the hospitality industry.
- They examine ways to satisfy customer demand through a change in the culture, structure and goals of an organization.
- Topics include guest satisfaction, consumer behaviour and expectations, reward and loyalty programs, service quality and effective communication. This course is often taken near the beginning of an undergraduate program.
Food and Beverage Management:
- This course discusses the challenges faced in food and beverage operations.
- Students explore types of service, kitchen and dining room structures, pricing, staffing, purchasing, inventory and cost controls.
- Case studies and guest lecturers often provide individuals with information on industry trends and outlooks, along with real-world experiences.
Finance and Accounting in Hospitality:
- In this course, individuals develop an understanding of the accounting and financial processes involved in hotel operations.
- Basic financial concepts are taught to improve decision-making.
- Students learn to read income statements, balance sheets and cash flow statements, as well as to gauge profit and loss ratios.
Hotel Marketing Management:
- In this course, students discover how successful marketing and brand recognition campaigns can generate revenue for a company.
- Marketing concepts such as segmentation, brand analysis, marketing principles, Internet marketing, advertising and public relations are explored.
- Individuals examine various market research methods, including focus groups, testimonials and interviews, surveys and models.
Technology Management in Hospitality:
- Students gain an understanding of the computer systems and software programs commonly used in the hospitality industry.
- They learn about management information systems and how the Internet and information technology can influence business goals.
- Topics covered include e-commerce, e-marketing and online information.
Hospitality and Law:
- Managing hotel operations requires a general understanding of the rules, regulations and laws that apply to the hospitality industry.
- Students examine the legal aspects of the hotel-guest relationship, food and beverage operations, employee contracts and franchise agreements.
- Usually taught at the graduate level, this course covers employer-employee union relationships, including negotiations, arbitration and media.
Skills needed by a Hotel Management aspirant:
Students looking for a career in hotel management should have:
- Strong communication skills
- Reasoning skills
- Numerical aptitude
- Pleasing personality.
Many students start preparing for entrance exams conducted soon after their 10th board.
Hotel management like any other sector is subject to the state of national economy and global economy. When the economy is doing well jobs come a lot in the sector. Currently there are more than 2.40 million people working in hotel, catering and allied industry in India and the number is going to increase in next couple of years as new hotels are coming up in large numbers in urban and semi-urban areas.
The demand is much higher than the existing 1, 14,000 hotels across all categories; India is facing acute shortage of trained hotel staff.
Few Different Roles:
Hospitality is a dynamic and fast growing industry which offers many different career opportunities including:
- General Managers
- Resident Managers
- Front Office Managers
- Restaurant Managers
- Club Managers
- Food and Beverage Managers
- Airline Catering / Cabin Services
- Hotel Service Supervisors
- Catering Operations
- Event Managers
Hotel Management in India:
It’s a stream neutral course and the duration of this course in India is about 3 years. One can apply through an entrance exam, where the subjects involved are Basic Aptitude (Quantitative Aptitude, Verbal Ability, Logical Reasoning, and General Knowledge) + Service Sector Aptitude + Scientific Aptitude
Leading Institutes in India:
- Oberoi Centre for Learning and Development(STEP), Delhi
- IHM – Mumbai, Delhi, Aurangabad, Bangalore, Chennai, Ahemdabad etc.
- Welcomgroup Graduate School of Hotel Administration – Manipal
- Christ College, Bangalore
- Federation of Hotel & Restaurant Associations of India
- Taj’s IHM, Aurangabad
- ITC Hospitality Management Institute
I’ll like to talk about a very popular and sought after Program today. It’s called the STEP Program, by the Oberoi Group.
- Systematic Training and Education Programme (STEP) is a career based programme offered by the renowned Oberoi Group. The candidates selected for the programme will be placed in a hotel of The Oberoi Group and will be made to undergo a practical training, 5 days a week, while the academic component is through distance learning.
- The selection to the STEP programme is based on personal Interviews to be held in various cities across India, between April 20- April 30. There will be no written examination.
- For selection into the programme, the student must have passed in Class 12 and must have secured good marks in English in Class 10.
About STEP Programme
The STEP Programme is a Hotel Training Programme and within this it provides two programmes
- Hotel Operations Programme (HOP)
- Front Office / Food and Beverage Service focus
- Housekeeping focus
- Kitchen Operations Programme (KOP):
It involves training in Western and Indian kitchens and specialist sections such as bakery, pastry and cold kitchen.
These Programs provides
- Three Years on the job training in Hotel.
- Undergraduate Study through Correspondence.
- Learning which is helpful for a career in Hospitality and Industry
- After successful completion of the STEP programme the student receives a graduate degree as well as a certificate of proficiency
- The application process for these programmes begins in
February each year. The programmes commence in August.
Hotel Management abroad:
Choosing a hotel management education abroad also provides an extra competitive advantage that will accelerate the professional progress of any student who takes advantage of study abroad programmes.
While the duration of Hotel Management in the USA, the UK and Australia is 4 years, Singapore holds the course for 3 years.
There’s no age limit and SAT-1 & 2 scores are considered for admissions.